Serve as a Commission Member Our Education Commission provides all parish members with the opportunity to undertake our common mission of sharing faith. This commission takes the lead in advancing the teaching mission of the Church by cooperatively developing, evaluating and promoting programs. These programs address the total lifelong formative needs of our faith community with special emphasis on Family Life, Adult Spirituality and Youth Formation.
Shannon Carlson – Vice Chair
Michele Smith – Council Rep.
David Zande – Chair
Alan Haras – Vice Chair
Chip Farrar – Secretary
Faith Formation Ministries Ministry with Children: All those who minister with children are in compliance with Archdiocesan guidelines.
- Childcare – Provides quality care for children of adults attending liturgical and faith formation opportunities. As needed, approx. 8 times yearly. Youth 11+ are welcome.
- Weekend Children’s Liturgy of the Word – Children from grades 1-3 are dismissed from Mass during the Liturgy of the Word. The minister proclaims the reading in age-appropriate language and reflects upon its meaning with the children. Scheduled once a month from September through May.
- Catechist or Substitute: Preschool – A religious awareness program for preschool age children held during Sunday liturgies and focuses on scriptures through song, story and art. Twice monthly October-May.
- Catechist or Substitute: Kindergarten – An age-appropriate faith formation program during Sunday Liturgies for kindergarten age children. Weekly October-May.
- Catechist or Sub: Elementary Summer Program – This is an alternative faith formation program offered both in July and August for children entering grades 1 through 5 in the fall of the same year.
- Catechist or Substitute: Elementary School Year – This program supports the spiritual development of children in grades 1 through 5. Meets on Sunday afternoon once a month.
- Catechist or Substitute: Middle School Program – Provides youth in grades 6-8 with sessions that follow a youth ministry model combining scripture, Catholic traditions and outreach projects. Sessions meet every other week. Late September-Holy Week.
- Theatrical Role – adults with a flair for the dramatic to do presentations in our “Readers Theater”.
- Confirmation Retreat Team -adult assistance always needed.
- High School Youth Min. – Project Leaders, Team Members – This ministry is an opportunity for high school youth to come together for fun, faith and friends during the school year. It offers a variety of experiences, discussions and activities to support and develop our teen’s spiritual core, helping them to navigate their world today.
- Adult Formation Team – We invite adults of all ages and vocations to realize the importance of ongoing faith formation. To that end, Christ the Redeemer is interest-ed in forming focus groups for faith sharing, Women’s groups, (M.O.M.S.-Ministry of Mothers Sharing, Circle of Faith), Men’s group, small faith groups (young adult, young married, couples, etc.) Oppor-tunities are also provided for Bible study, catechist formation, parenting sessions, peace and justice studies, book discussions, prayer and spirituality topics and sessions specifically dedicated to Catholic teachings and traditions. We will be forming an Adult Formation team to assist with planning.
- High School Small Group Leader – periodic small group gatherings for discussion of designated topics pertinent to our teen as they journey in faith through their world today. As Needed.
- High School Summer Mission-adults interested in driving and work-ing alongside our youth as we continue our outreach project in Detroit with the Motor City Blight Busters. Summer-As Needed.
- Adult Formation Team: – We invite adults of all ages and vocations to realize the importance of ongoing faith formation. To that end, Christ the Redeemer is interested in forming focus groups for faith sharing, Women’s groups, (M.O.M.S.-Ministry of Mothers Sharing, Circle of Faith), Men’s group, small faith groups (young adult, young married, couples, etc.) Opportunities are also provided for Bible study, cate-chist formation, parenting sessions, peace and justice studies, book discussions, prayer and spirituality topics and sessions specifically dedicated to Catholic teachings and traditions. We will be forming an Adult Formation team to assist with planning.
- Facilitators for Bible Study – to lead study; materials provided, 6-8 weeks.
- RCIA-Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults
- RCIA Mentors to connect with people inquiring about RCIA. As needed.
- RCIA Team members needed to form our Catechetical team for adult formation, 9 months yearly.
- RCIA Adult Sponsors are needed to walk the journey with adults pre-paring for sacraments. As needed.
- Peace & Justice Committee – meet monthly to plan educational events around Catholic Social Justice.
- Faithful Friends – We invite families of all composition and ages to con-sider being the faith based connection for families of newly baptized infants. This is a 3 year commitment, asking you to contact and ar-range to meet (at Coffee and Donuts, etc.) your family at least twice a year for three years after Baptism. A packet to distribute at those meetings will be provided.
- Confirmation Facilitator – Already confirmed teens are in-vited to serve as small group facilitators three times during the year at Confirmation prep meetings.
- Office of Family Ministry Support
- Office Support (OFM) – Assist in general office duties including copying, mailings, classroom and project support. As needed.
- Library – We have a library at Christ the Redeemer and look for individuals willing to keep the material organized.