PEACE & JUSTICE COMMITTEE
Serve as a Committee Member
The Christ the Redeemer Peace and Justice Committee seeks to respond to the challenges placed before us by the Seven Themes of Catholic Social Teaching:
- Life and Dignity of the Human Person
- Call to Family, Community, and Participation
- Rights and Responsibilities
- Option for the Poor and Vulnerable
- The Dignity of Work and the Rights of Workers
- Care for God’s Creation
We research the causes and effects of conditions that impact the lives of the poor and marginalized within our communities. We showcase and support acts of mercy organized and carried out by members of Christ the Redeemer Parish and the larger community. We share the fruits of our research with the community. We participate in opportunities for action.
Upcoming Peace & Justice Committee Events at Christ the Redeemer
- November 3: “Friday Night at the Movies”, 13 is a 2016 American documentary by director Ava DeVernay. The film explores the “intersection of race, justice and mass incarceration in the United States;” it is titled after the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which freed the slaves and prohibited slavery (unless as punishment for a crime).Popcorn, pizza and the movie begin at 6:30pm.
- Many members have made a six month commitment to work on the North Oakland Catholic Parishes (NOCP) Refugee Resettlement Project. This project is a priority and will be the focus in the coming year.