Our Service Commission has defined its charter to identify areas of need in the local community and to develop responses through programs or actions that aim to serve humanity and promote justice. The Commission seeks to network with other groups and entrusts all members of the community to put into action the mandate Jesus gave to the disciples: “As I have done, so you must do.”
The Service Commission is instrumental in coordinating a number of important programs for the community including: Red Cross Blood Drive, Thanksgiving Dinner Program, Christmas Giving Tree Program, Easter Basket Program and the Not Your Ordinary Food Drive.
The Service Commission is closely associated with the Christian Service Department which has expanded its programs in many new directions in recent years. “Striving to make a difference”, the Christian Service group continues to minister to our parish community as well as the local community.
Judy Majewski-Vice Chair
Twice a year, meet with the youth of the parish, to dialogue and invite them to assist in our various outreach projects.
- Include in our outreach projects a welcoming message or invitation to join our community in worship. Ex: Include our contact information as well as Mass schedule in the flyer for the St. Nicholas Day food drive.
- Host a second parish wide day of outreach in the summer focusing on urban gardens.
Watch the Service Commission Video – CLICK HERE
We are always open to suggestions and comments. Questions: email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Service Ministry Volunteer Opportunities
- Tender Loving Cookers– Provide a meal for a family in crisis. As needed.
- Funeral Hospitality Volunteers– Volunteers are needed for food preparation, setup, serving and cleanup. As needed.
- Funeral Food Donations– Food donations for a funeral luncheon include; salad, dessert, fruit or veggie platter. As needed.
- Coffee and Donut Ministry– Set-up & clean-up for coffee, juice, donuts and bagels after Sunday Masses. Scheduled.
- Hospitality Volunteer– Assist staff with hospitality for parish events.
- Soup Makers– Provide a pot of soup for Soup Suppers during Lent and other occasions. As Needed.
- Blood Drive Hospitality–Volunteers serve refreshments to donors at the drive.
- Card Ministry Mailing- Mail cards, created at our Card Workshops, to parishioners. Cards and postage supplied. As needed.
- Giving Tree Tag Making- Assist the Service Commission in making tags for our Christmas giving tree. Scheduled in October.
- Stephen Ministry – Stephen Ministers provide one-on-one personal support to someone in crisis. Training required. Assigned.
- Visiting Hospital/Homebound- Visit parishioners in the hospital and or at home. Scheduled as needed.
- Communion to the Nursing Home- Take Eucharist to residents at Villa at Silverbell Estates. Twice a month on Thursday or Saturday morning.
- Nursing Home Mass- Assist at Mass the second Friday of the month at 10am at Villa at Silverbell Estates.
- Card Crafters- Create handmade cards to be sent to parishioners. Six workshops yearly, day and evening sessions.
- Warm Up America- Knit or crochet afgans, hats & gloves for the needy. Twice a month.
- Blood Pressure Screening- Check the blood pressure of parishioners after Masses. Six times a year.
- Deliver to Local Charities- Deliver items to local human service agencies. Deliveries are on weekdays.
- Peace & Justice Committee- Plan educational events around Catholic Social Teachings. Monthly.
- Baldwin Soup Kitchen– Serve meals at the Baldwin Center on Saturday. Scheduled.
- Community Meals/ On Site– Serve meals to the community the 3rd & 4th Thursdays of the month at Christ the King Church in Oxford. Shifts are available between 3 – 7 pm.
- Community Meals- Desserts– Donate homemade or store bought desserts for Community Meals or parish events.
- Orphan & Foster Care Committee– Discuss the needs and plan activities for Orphans and foster care children in Oakland County with an outreach to St. Francis Orphanage, Vista Maria and Christ Child House.
- Habitat Fundraising– Assist planning the spring fundraiser for Oakland Habitat for Humanity. December through May.
- Habitat Build– Skilled and unskilled labor needed to rehab or build a house. Scheduled.
- Launder Table Linens- After a parish event, pick-up the table cloths for laundering and return to church. As needed.