Our Service Commission has defined its charter to identify areas of need in the local community and to develop responses through programs or actions that aim to serve humanity and promote justice. The Commission seeks to network with other groups and entrusts all members of the community to put into action the mandate Jesus gave to the disciples: “As I have done, so you must do.”
The Service Commission is instrumental in coordinating a number of important programs for the community including: Red Cross Blood Drive, Thanksgiving Dinner Program, Christmas Giving Tree Program, Easter Basket Program and the Not Your Ordinary Food Drive.
The Service Commission is closely associated with the Christian Service Department which has expanded its programs in many new directions in recent years. “Striving to make a difference”, the Christian Service group continues to minister to our parish community as well as the local community.
Judy Majewski-Vice Chair
Watch the Service Commission Video – CLICK HERE
We are always open to suggestions and comments. Questions: email email@example.com.
- Stephen Ministry – Stephen Ministers provide one-on-one personal support to someone in crisis. Training required. Assigned.
- Blood Pressure Screening – Check the blood pressure of parishioners after Masses. Volunteers skilled in this area are needed to take and record blood pressures. 6 x yearly.
- Tender Loving Cookers – Provide a meal for a family in crisis. As needed.
- Cookie Cherubs – Donate homemade cookies/desserts for parish events. As needed.
- Funeral Food Donations – Food donations for a funeral include; salad, dessert, fruit or veggie platter. As needed.
- Funeral Hospitality Volunteers – Volunteers are needed in many capacities; preparation of food, setup, serving and cleanup. Most importantly, our volunteers assist in making an already difficult situation a little easier to handle. As needed.
- Saturday Pizza Ministry – Set-up and serve pizza and lemonade after Saturday Mass. September-May, scheduled.
- Coffee and Donut Ministry – Set-up, clean-up and serve coffee/donuts after Sunday Masses. Scheduled.
- Hospitality Volunteer – Volunteer will work with staff to plan hospitality for various parish events such as Easter Vigil Reception, Confirmation Reception, Vicariate Meeting Hospitality and New Parishioner Hospitality. Shop, decorate and coordinate help will be part of this ministry. As needed.
- Hospitality Volunteer – Assist coordinator or staff with hospitality
- Launder Table Linens – After a parish event, pick-up the table cloths for laundering and return to church. As needed.
- Soup Makers – Provide a pot of soup for Soup Suppers during Lent and for other occasions. As Needed.
- Church Community
- Card Workshop – Create handmade cards to be sent to parishioners who have completed a sacrament, suffered the loss of a loved one, are hospitalized or in a nursing home. An evening of fun, no experience necessary, no sign up required. 6 workshops yearly.
- Card Ministry Volunteer – Mail cards, created at our Card Workshops, to parishioners. Cards and postage supplied. As needed.
- Blood Drive Volunteer – Volunteers are asked to make reminder calls to donors. The day of the drive volunteers work registration and serve refreshments
- Deliver to Local Charities – Volunteer are needed to deliver essential items to local human service agencies. Items include; coats, children’s books and school supplies. Volunteers are needed for delivery. On weekdays as needed.
- Christmas Giving Tree Program – Help is needed with gift wrapping, making tags and delivery of gifts for local needy families. Yearly.
- The Gospel of Life Group – Promotes the sanctity of all life. The group focuses on many vital concerns in our society like marriage and family life, chastity, family planning, domestic violence, abortion, euthanasia and capital punishment. This group meets quarterly.
- Love INC Community Meals – Serve meals to the needy the 3rd & 4th Thursdays of the month at Christ the King Church. Shifts are available between 3 – 7 pm. Sign up
- Community Meals-Dessert – Donate homemade cookies, brownies or pies for Community Meals on the 3rd and 4th Thursday of the month. Sign up required.
- Warm Up America – Knit or crochet blankets for the needy and prayer shawls for our parishioners. Meets twice monthly on Thursday at 9:30 a.m. Sign up not required.
- Crop Walk-Hospitality Volunteer – Hosted at Christ the Redeemer in spring, local area churches come together to help raise funds for the hungry of the world. Assistance is needed the day of the event, at Christ the Redeemer, to serve refreshments to the walkers. Yearly.
- Habitat for Humanity-Fundraising Team – Rehabs are in the Lake Orion area. Fundraising plans for the project begin in the fall with the fundraiser being held in the spring. Meets September through May.
- No One Dies Alone – Respite care for those in their final stages of life. Ministry is at Lake Orion Nursing Home and St. Joe Mercy Hospital. Training required.
- St. Nick Project-2014 Leadership – Contact and organize worksites and coordinate volunteers for site placement. Assist with administrative tasks. Scheduled meetings as needed.
- Soup Kitchen – Serve meals at the Baldwin Center Tues., Thurs., and Sat., scheduled.